STAY siLENT FOR A CHANGE
Let’s speak up with silence! Join others – including Delia Smith – in creating a deafening silence in Lent 2018! Take time to give up the things that fill life with noise and restlessness. Not only will you allow time for silence, your sponsorship will make a real difference to young people without a voice, for whom silence isn’t a choice.
Instead of cutting out sugar, challenge yourself and your community to cut out the noise in your life this Lent: go without your smart phone or stay silent with us. Help us to do something amazing for young people.
The average young adult in the UK spends 80 minutes a day on social media. Over the whole of Lent that's more than 2 entire days. Imagine what you could do with that time – spend time in silence and time with your family and friends. Real people, real time. Join us and start fundraising now. Download the info sheet.
Ideas of how to take part
- A collective silence in school/groups - e.g. a silent assembly, or an hour for the whole school
- 24 hours straight. Choose a date in Lent (14 Feb-31 Mar), and start getting sponsored.
- Phone or Social Media - Instead of spending all those hours online, give it up for Lent, and then spend just half an hour a day in silence (and an hour on Good Friday and Holy Saturday). It adds up to 24 hours.
Read Corey's story of staying siLENT here
Get started with siLENT
1. Sign up and let us know how you or your community are taking part.
2. You'll then be invited to set up your online fundraising.
3. You can still do it the old fashioned way. Download the siLENT sponsor form.
4. Get sponsored by text. Share details with others: To donate £5, text LENT24 £5 to 70070. (You can donate £1/ £2/ £3/ £4/ £5/ £10).
YOUR SILENCE MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Million Minutes celebrates young people and gives grants to support them to change their lives and their world. The money you raise during Lent will help many projects throughout England and Wales. For example, in 2017 Million Minutes supported ‘Field of Dreams’ in Basildon, a holiday programme run by young volunteers from the Catholic Parish. Some of the 100 children who attended never leave Basildon during the holiday period and Field of Dreams provides them with activities and new experiences. One volunteer explained: “We know that for some of these children, coming here really is the safest place for them to be during their holiday.”